Tuesday, May 8, 2018

PARIS WISDOM


There are only two choices: aging and death. And it is different for us all. We must figure it out on an individual basis, taking inspiration from our friends, companions, ancestors and the world around us. We enjoy the sunshine and wind. And we try to keep moving. We downsize our belongings, giving up the things which no longer have a significant amount of meaning for us. And we become more aware that all we can count on is "now". Betting on tomorrow, or even later, or next time is silly. It's not for sure. Not guaranteed, although it is certain that you will run out of time and before you are finished.
This trip I have noticed the elders in my wandering path. I am fascinated to see the reflection of myself in their faces, and bodies. They don't seem to give up, bravely going out each day, walking as possible and participating in the joy each day may bring. I found them sitting in the parks, often near the toilets, watching children play or just riding the buses and doing the day's shopping. I spent too much time wondering if my Mom would have enjoyed seeing Paris with me. She might have liked it more with another of my siblings but I can't imagine any of them would have taken her along. Maybe Cathy would have agreed to take her, who I think of as adventurous; or perhaps Marti, probably the more compassionate. But I think it would have been difficult to convince her, after 81-ish, to leave her cozy apartment in Sauk Rapids. She seemed to run out of steam and have secrets to protect.  What was she hiding from the world? She preferred to be alone with her TV shows, to being around other humans, even her kids. She frequently had the attitude that we were a nuisance. Yet she talked shit about us either way, complaining that she never heard from us. Yet refusing to pick up the phone. When you did make a connection, she wouldn't let you
go. Then complained that you had talked too long! It made the interaction less than satisfying, and frustrating every time. Yes, I had questions I wanted to ask her, but the time was never right. Consequently she would avoid giving an answer or explanation. The most authentic visit, for me, was the one after I came back from Arizona and she gave me a ring she was wearing. No explanation, just "does this fit you?" When I showed my Dad he obviously recognized it and told me to go back and ask her about it. And she never gave me a straight answer. I'm not surprised, just somewhat disappointed that I can't pass the story of the ring along to my daughter/grand-daughter with the object.
So what if Thelma and Louis didn't die? What if they were cleared of all charges or got of with a fine or probation. Thelma left her husband and fell deeply in love with her soul mate. Louise married Jimmy and confessed her traumatic past. His witnessing healed her pain and they all are old together meeting on sunny days of fair weather, in a park somewhere in Paris to chat about this and that. The deterioration or changes in the body. Who has an acceptable doctor or therapist or home worker. Then, one by one, they each stop breathing and slip behind the curtain of physical manifestation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!